“Cake Boss” Buddy Valastro shows how he makes his family’s delicious Italian meatballs on The Rachel Ray Show. You’ll need his Italian Gravy recipe to go along with them. Also on this episode are other Italian delights.
- 4 slices fresh white bread
- 8 ounces ground sirloin
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil or other neutral oil
Tear the bread into small pieces and put it in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and soak for 5 minutes.
Put the sirloin, veal and pork in a large bowl. Squeeze the excess water from the bread and add the bread pieces to the bowl with the meats. Add the garlic, eggs, parsley, Pecorino Romano, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to the bowl, and knead the ingredients together. Form the mixture into about 15 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter.
Heat a wide, deep, heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs in batches without crowding and shallow fry them, turning them with a slotted spoon as they cook until golden-brown all over, 6-8 minutes total cooking time.